Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The fire, the horse, the fire horse, and the horse with fire

I google searched "fire horse". I found many amazing images but they were all in motion. To me, there is more strength in stillness. Especially stillness with-in fire.
I think "the fire" is a stillness within all of us.
We all have it for something, we all have varying degree's.
I have it for eventing, for horses.
I am a full blown crazy horse person and I am proud of it.
How does one describe a passion, a dream, a goal.
Why would one describe any of these things?
How do you live a still life, a strong life, a happy life when you have a burning inside of you?
How do you make sure that the fire that keeps you going, does that...and only that.
How do you make sure it does not consume you, that it does not die out.
I think you have to feed a fire, you have to control a fire, you have to give a fire air.
Why do we feel ashamed or embarrassed of intense passion, or interest?
Computer people certainly don't show any embarrassment or limit their expression when talking about terabytes, jitbit's whatever and stuff.
I have a fire, a very large fire. I have a plan to be what I can be. I have a plan to be a successful advanced rider and nothing will stop me short of god.
Nothing has stopped me yet. Nothing has knocked me down hard enough that I haven't come up swinging, and let me tell you, if it hasn't happened yet, it ain't happening at all.
There is nothing I can't make it through, nothing I can't come back from and as long as Dave and Maggie Macklin are on board (which thank god they are) and with their support, I am already achieving my goals.....our goals.
I know I am right where I need to be to get where I am going and it is a wonderful ride.
Even better, I have some really amazing people to enjoy the fire with.

Now "the horse".

What is your fire? What makes you happy? What do you have inside you that you want to live for or do?
In this case I will keep talking about riding.
Are you being realistic?
Are you helping yourself or are you getting in your own way?
Do you have the right horse to get you where you want to go, OR do you have a horse that will take you where it can?
Because either is the right answer.
I hate trainers who tell you your horse can't.
First off....the hard truth is they may very well be right. They may actually be right in more ways then one.
Maybe your horse can't in THEIR program.
Maybe your horse can't right now.
Maybe it doesn't really matter that your horse can't.
Maybe you buy a horse that can and they do a tendon two days later. Then things haven't really changed have they?
My point is are you doing something to help you get to your goals?
Are you happy? Do you feel like you are making progress? Because that is what is important.
Just be for real.
And don't limit your self for silly reasons.
If you are for real and you want to compete and your saddle is limiting your progress, yes Alison look for a new dress saddle! Treat yourself, find a good deal, YOU DESERVE IT.
Anyone selling one? :)
Or those of you that are unable to get the right bit, the back pad, whatever, borrow it from a friend!

One other thing that I feel strongly about.
Vet first
Farrier second
lessons and training third
competing fourth

"The fire horse"
We have all seen them. Some of us are lucky enough to have ridden one.
When I was like 19 or 20 or something like that (its all a blur), I went with Stephen to a big event they used to have in Texas.
(I have had a crush on the state ever since)
I remember seeing it for the first time.
I think Jimmy Wofford refers to something similar as "The look of eagles".
It is a fire, surrounded by stillness.
My student Kari calls it their game face.
It gave me chills then and it still gives me chills now. It is the reason that I do what I do. It is the reason I want to jump around Rolex.
I remember watching Colleen Rutledge on Shiraz when they were running prelim and I asked her if he was for sale. You could just see it on his face (all though I totally thought "he" was a mare...since I have a mare obsession).
When I watched his and her video of them at Burghley, it gave me chills. It gives me chills thinking about it now.
That horse and that lady are a pair of bad asses with the same expression on their faces.
A fire horse is the full package. The real deal. When they compete, you can feel them give you what you need, and fix it if you make a mistake.
You can hear them say..."I got this" in a very matter of fact tone. They are the ultimate competitor and they don't have a "bad" phase. (All though sometimes their scores don't always reflect it if they are of the exuberant kind)

The horse with fire is the horse that may not have been genetically blessed, but they give you every bit of every ounce with-in them. They usually make you cry at the end of cross country because they amaze you so much....every time.

Then there are the zillion combinations of horses. Especially in eventing with it's three phases.
If you find a fire horse with fire in all three phases, bubble wrap that thing and don't let go.

I am so thankful to have this sport in my life.
I am so very thankful to have my husband. He works so hard all the time, he tries so hard, he love's me so unconditionally and it makes everyday a wonderful one.
I find myself sometimes irritable, or stressed. It is so silly. I need to take a breath as Thanksgiving approaches and realize all that I have to be thankful for.

My friends that picked up the phone in the last week, and listen to my crazy babble about BEAST BEAST BEAST. Thank you.
All of my clients that put up with my grumpy moments during competition season.
Thank you.
Clearly I am feeling emotional so I should end this with a photo of one of my favorite people.


Snooki

No comments:

Post a Comment