Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Morven day one

Beasty was a hot tamale in the dressage warm up! She was the most up and tense she has been this year and it didn't magically disappear as we circled the dressage ring. As we came past the judge I looked in the car, "oh good" I thought "Brian Ross is my judge". It just kept getting better!

Beasty actually tried very hard for me upon entering the ring. I rode every step as best I could. I had my leg on which is something I had forgotten about.....shame on me.....
Thank god for my lesson with Vanessa earlier this week, it sure came in handy today!
I helped Beast out today on the flat and that felt good. Historically I just sit there and think "I can't wait for this to be over" when Beasty's body feels like a board of wood ready to squirt out from under me at any moment.
The video is not too shabby, considering where we came from last summer!!! Brian Ross giving me a 46 on my most tense test of the year, I will take it. Progress. A 46 from Brian is like a 39 by any other judge!

Beasty was a wonderful girl in the show jumping. I had a huge smile on my face in warm up. We couldn't have  jumped any better!
The course was in the small ring and there were a few tight turns. In hind sight I should have realized this was an opportunity to shine. I ride in a smaller ring all the time. Literally all the time. The clinics I go to and my ring at home are both on the smaller side. Beast is a sports car and has legs of springs.
In my moment at the show, I heard everyone freaking out about the ring and turns and let it affect my focus.
I should have thought a bit quicker and calmer. I had two rails, Beast jumped clean with miles to spare. The good news is no matter what I do, Beast jumps well and confidently.
She did spook a little on course but did everything I asked of her and then some. All the hard work and her body work has really paid off. I was able to stay with her better, thanks to working out again and getting stronger.

The course looks great for tomorrow and should ride well if we hold our lines and keep coming forward. The more technical questions seem to be set up in a way where the terrain helps set you up and the distance tells you how much to kick on.

I love the learning I am doing.  I love the partner I have to learn on. We get closer every time. Closer every time, but the closer I get, the higher the goal I set. In this moment I choose to be happy and proud. I know I will always set the bar higher and higher. I know when I achieve one goal, I will start foaming at the mouth for the next.
I know that I really have the best flat instructor on the planet. If you had shown me a video of my worst test this year, I would have peed my pant's with glee. With no diaper on. In public. With pride. Like Maggie.
I love Sharon, Jimmy and Stephen.
My horse is jumping better then I ever knew possible. I am taking this moment right now to feel giddy.
To be thankful.

Ok, that's all the maturity I have for right now.

This week and every week after is all about getting better and making my horse better so we can get the scores we deserve. It's about tasting blood and getting back up. Riding in the rain. Being calm.... Then being so driven you feel like your skin is twitching. It means everything and nothing. It's delusion and reality.
It's really not important, but to me it is.
It all is.

I find that when my blogs start to take a turn towards the dramatic, it's time to eat and stop typing.

A HUGE THANKS TO ALEXIS for all the help today!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment