Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thoroughbreds are from the Sun and Warmbloods are from the moon.

We have stink bugs in the house.
One time when we first moved in, Dave and I got the great idea to throw a onesie (baby shirt) at the stink bugs on the ceiling in our two story stairwell.
It was a team effort. Dave would throw the onesie, knock the stinkbugs down and then I would vacuum them up. While apologizing to the stink bug.
The onesie got stuck on the chandelier.
We left it there.
A few days later, the onesie caught on fire from the light bulb.
Thank god we were home.

What in the world does this have to do with the title of the blog post?
Everything.

I saw/smelt the onesie on fire and called downstairs to Dave. He ran over to the bottom of the stairs and looked up and started screaming ''Oh My God, what do I do, what do I do?"
He then proceeded to run from the bottom of the stairs to the mud room and back. A few times. Panic had set in.

I looked at him and then looked around.
"Ah!" my dusting pole was right there.
I used it to reach the fiery onesie, caught the onesie and then carefully carry it to the toilet and place it in.

Dave was still running.

A moment later, I looked down and he had a bucket of water. I still don't know what he intended to do with the bucket of water. Perhaps throw it, up two stories at the ceiling fixture?

Dave-Warmblood
Mary-Thoroughbred.

What do I mean? That doesn't make sense!
Oh but it does.

Dave- calm, level, pleasant,  generally in a relaxed state.
Mary-high strung, try's to be pleasant, generally NOT in a relaxed state.

Crisis situations, I am already there. The rest of the world catches up to me. I live in a state near crisis.
Crisis situations, Dave observes that there is a crisis.
Then buys a fire extinguisher. Dave plans.

Dave likes to be prepared so he can exist in the state he is comfortable in.
I like to do lots of stuff at once and thrive on action.

I guess you could also sum it up, Dave-male, Mary-female.

Warmblood-male
Thoroughbred-female
Dave would get amazing scores on the flat.
He would be so relaxed and he would be focused on the predictability that the dressage brings.
He would be an amazing show jumper if he knew it was time to jump. He would have such a great relaxed canter that the perfect distance would always exist from such a rhythmical canter. He would need to be told clearly where he was going so he doesn't get distracted
He would be great cross country if he was schooled well and he understood what was coming.
He likes to do a good job and gets really mad if he thinks he didn't do a good job. He would also get mad if you didn't explain the task well.

I would anticipate a lot of the movements in the dressage. Canter now? how about now? You seem like maybe you want me to canter.
I would try really hard not to touch the poles in showjumping. That hurts. I would tell you I was mad if you made me touch a pole. I don't like that the poles move. That freaks me out. I don't like to hit my ankle.
Cross country would be fun. FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN. FUN. If you prepared me well, I would run and jump and turn and jump. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have a point.
I am just making observations.

Kaliente is Kari's horse. She is a warmblood. Yesterday, she steps in her own poop on the trailer ramp, slips and as she is staring at me has one thought. "Oh I seem to be falling."
Until I slap her on the chin and tell her to stop falling.

Relaxed.
Not always relaxed.
Both have their ups, downs and reasons to laugh.

I am of course making MAJOR generalizations and mostly joking around so please don't take this blog post too serious.
Hopefully Dave enjoys this blog and doesn't get mad at me.
Dave is a smart planner. He likes lists and safety precautions. He likes having extra of things on hand.

I can learn a lot from Dave.
I can learn how to prep the little four year old Holsteiner I am so lucky to ride.

There is a lesson everywhere if you look hard enough. :)
Thanks Dave.

1 comment:

  1. Love this.... it made me laugh and smile and generally feel good. :-)

    ReplyDelete