Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Whew!


(The photo is blurry so you can't see the snow a-swirlin. It's the famous Hannah S. being a dressage star on Buckshot!)
What a great day!
It started with a lesson for Harmony and Sharon, who looked fabulous!
I rode Summer while I taught, try to mix things up a little for her. Then Sharon and I hacked around the grass ring.
Next I loaded up my two girls and headed over to A Bit Better Farm, for my lessons with Stephen.
Both girls were fabulous.
Beast tried her little heart out! She was fabulous, and I wondered the whole time, where is the left drift? I always have to work on my left drift, but it wasn't there to keep me company today! Hmmmm, it just gets better and better!
Callie was her wonderful self. Thanks to Margret we were able to switch horses quickly! I rode them back to back.
Callie did kick out once picking up the right lead canter......I had a flashback to my dressage kick out(s) at the combined test. I saw red, thinking uh-uh. Now somewhere in the vague recesses of my mind I did hear Stephen. He was quietly saying "just close your leg" all happy and calm...........
I kicked her---------- hard. She objected. We were like two big heavy be-aches on Jerry Springer. You know breathing all heavy, not backing down. She did a little shuffle, leapy, twisty......and I (as Katie called using my crop) went for the weave ;)
Then we carried on like nothing had happened.
My sweet little lady needs a reminder every now and then. I think we should save our "discussions" for a time less.........well tacky.
Callie jumped like a dream, and has graduated from her roller ball bit. I think it just irritates her at this point.
I worked on using my seat to really establish a good quality canter, and help the balance. Holding both mares "up" on the turn with my inside leg-outside rein connection helped my rhythm, while keeping the hind end coming through. Its amazing how the perfect distance is always there (without looking) from the perfect canter. I feel very lucky to have such brilliant mares to learn on.

My super trooper students came out and did their lessons despite the snow! Hannah, Alison, and Elizabeth-Way to go girls. I'm not gonna lie, I was freezing, and a little wimpy.

Katie took the ever amazing Freckles to the indoor at Serra Valley, holy cow! He really is like a new man since getting his hocks done! So happy to do his job!

A really great, and productive day!
Tomorrow Mags and I are heading to West Virginia to teach, then an evening hack with Allison!

No comments:

Post a Comment