Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Friday, April 1, 2011

Dressage and a RANT


My dressage lessons were awesome!
Both Beast and Callie were very happy to have Vanessa remind me how to ride properly! I think in the last few weeks, I have crept back into old habits. I tend to try to use speed to build the feeling (false feeling that is) of a connection. It doesn't work. All it does is make Beast fast and tense, and give Callie the perfect out to avoid a true connection.
I was amazed at how if I focused on having a relaxed correct horse, it all just came together. Callie took until the end to focus. She jumped on Wed, and had yesterday off, so she was still in jump mode. I think all that play on her old bit may have made her jaw muscles a bit sore also. She was tilting a bit.
Beast was all business, and relaxed also. It was wonderful! We were able to have some really classy work. Just when I was thinking "OK Beast, I will except what you are...a very plain, safe, good girl (albeit a bit dramatic at times)", she lifted her back-raised her shoulder and said "Watch this BEEEEEEP-f&*KAAAAAAAAA". (If you have seen "The Hangover", that scene with the Asian comedian when he rolls up the window? Kari and Alison you know ;) (I have edited this more due to Davey Pants Macklin)
Don't count her out is my point.
Ahhhh my faith in our progress is restored. I just have to keep on keeping on.

Now for my RANT
I have a pet peeve. A few pet peeves.
One of them is people who want to be great riders, but not great horsemen. I'm sure you know a few, we all do. Riding your horse is only a small part of the equation. Grooming, health care, preparation and knowledge are all necessary in this sport. There is no excuse any more for idiocy.
Do you jump? Do you know what a horses stride length is? A proper distance?
I am appalled at the people that go cross country schooling, or even schooling in the ring, and send their horses (or WORSE, their students) over a set of related fences, with out checking the distance.
What if it is set for 1 and a half? or in between a bounce and one stride? What if an idiot put the jump their? A hired hand that just set it down to come back and measure later?
Now very rarely will you catch me in a rant like this, but come on people.
Another thing is the water jumps at facilities right now are saturated! Checking the depth by walking a horse through is always a good idea! If it is too deep, jumping the bank into it may not be the brightest idea. This can cause your horse to have a major confidence issues, or worse.
Their is no shame in using Google. Their is not much time in looking up proper distances for show jumping on the Internet.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for fifth leg training and development, but I am not in it for suicide runs.
Please be smart when you are riding, just a little common sense can go a long way. If you are not sure, ask!
(Don't misinterpret this, all of my students show amazing sense-this is not directed at any of them! This is really just a Rant)
There are so many opportunities for continuing education! If you can't afford to ride in a clinic, or fear you are not ready, go watch! You can learn so much from watching each other!
As I get older, I may get more serious. I have seen too many dumb accidents that could be avoided. 99% of the time, everyone ends up OK, but it is very real that there is a 1% left over.
Riding liability releases exist for a reason!
As instructors, it is our responsibility to continue our education! To continue riding, competing, or at least auditing and researching. I take my job seriously, I care about my students and their horses as if they were my own.
I make mistakes, but damn I try hard not to. In this sport, with its ups and downs, we all need a mentor or mentors. We need stability, reliance, reassurance. We need a program. Please choose wisely, YOU are very important.

I hope that I can be the best that I can be at what I do, I promise to try my hardest, come hell or high water.

Thats enough of that.
This weekend brings up Morven Park!!!! Whoop Whoop!
Alexa looks ready! She looked like a million dollars yesterday on the flat!

First tomorrow we have the dressage brush up at Darenth, which is full!
A great weekend ahead, with great company!
Dave and Maggie will be doing what Dave's and Maggie's do best. I don't know what it is, but they sure are good at it.
Off to check out the Pack man and hopefully teach some lessons! Pray for the weather to hold!!!!

“Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time.”
Arnold H. Glasgow quotes
“Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to.”
Arnold H. Glasgow quotes
“Progress is what happens when impossibility yields to necessity.”
Arnold H. Glasgow quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment