Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fabulous lesson!!!!


>Yesterday, Beast and I made the short trip to "A Bit Better Farm" where Sharon White was teaching.
First I had to go pick up my trailer at HR Collins, it needs to be serviced and my truck got a hitch put in the bed!!!!! Of course I had to take the rig back later in the day, to get my car, and also the trailer needs a few LED lights that they are waiting on.
I got my riding done at Darenth, then tackled Beast with a shedding blade. Oui this mare takes forever to shed out.
Then off we went!
This was one of the best lessons I ever have had!
Sharon has a very calm way about her and a fantastic way of explaining things. I rode with Sharon a bit 8 years ago, and had remembered that great calm energy. I was excited to see how I would mesh with her teaching now that I am further along in my career. I was not dissapointed!
I told Sharon in the beginning of the lesson that I wanted a brush up for Loudon, and to work on "staying over top" of Beast when she jumps like a firecracker.
Well, we started with some flat exercises, canter lengthening to a working canter, trot a few steps and repeat. It was great.
We moved on to a "simple" serpentine exercise, and Sharon tweaked a few things that really helped. She noticed that my jaw was locked, and just like in Yoga, this tension can carry through your whole body. I softened my jaw, and there was a clear change.
We then did related distances, angled lines, a corner and a corner in between two angeled oxers. Then we put the jumps up and did another course.
Beast was perfect, and when I worked on my true straightness, with the new tool Sharon gave me, Beast jumped even more amazing then usual. The best part? I stayed with her just fine!
I was so happy, and Sharon was very impressed with Beast, her eagerness to please, and her phenomenal jumping ability. She said she is just "the kind of horse that everyone wants".

Today Mags and I are hunkering down with our eye on the weather.
I will be doing some flat work tweaking this evening. I will be doing the tweaking with Beasts dressage and her warm up plans.
Callie I am sure will have a tweaking plan of her own.

A big thanks to A bit Better Farm, and Kim for setting it all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment