Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Own them. Own you.

The reason for run outs.
The reason for chronic stops.

All result of the rider/owner/human in charge.
The truth hurts.

Horses are not dogs, cars, or people.
They do not want to cuddle on the couch.
They are not equipment that is an irritation if it breaks down.
They are not a friend that decided not to do what you wanted just to upset you.
It's not personal, it never is.

Now I am not saying that I don't think they have worries, happiness, and a lot more. I am the first person to love my horses like little peeps.
What I am saying is we all need to let go of expectations that set us up for failure.
We are our own saboteurs.

Run outs are ALWAYS rider error. There is nothing else to say about that one.
Chronic stops? I firmly believe this is due to poor, or a lack of training.
This one is a little bit more tricky....
Yes you can have a horse go through a phase, or a couple of phases as you climb through the levels. A smart trainer backs off and reapproaches. Thus eliminating a chronic problem.
A horse may be "ditchy" and may always have that in him, rising it's ugly head every now and then. These ARE NOT the horses I am talking about.
Do you see Phillip, Stephen, Sharon ever chronically get eliminated? No.
Because they don't over face their horses relative to their riding ability, and they do their homework.

I choose what level to enter my horse.
If I compete Beginner Novice, does that make me a Beginner Novice rider? No.
So why is it any different for anyone else?
You are not defined by a title.

If I choose to enter my horse at Novice knowing he will be over faced, does that make me a good horseman? ....
I am not even going to answer that one.

So whats better? Going Beginner Novice well, and laying the foundation for a successful move up?
Or, hurrying and going Novice and sabotaging your confidence and your horses confidence?
You may have entered that level, but did you accomplish anything?

Move your horses a long when they are ready. A professional may be able to move horses along, properly, at the light of speed. Because they know how to do it correctly and they are a professional rider.

Don't judge yourself on placings. This is irrational behavior, especially in our sport. There are too many variables you can not control. ....
The dressage judge, and her style/preference.
Your horse may have a rail that is not your fault.
There maybe someone who is simply better!

What you can judge yourself on is success rate on your riding.
Did you ride to the best of your ability?
If the answer is no, it is probably because you were worried about your placing.
Let go.
Who cares, just ride well.

Take care of your horses.
If you buy a horse, it is reliant on you to take good care of it.
I plan to spend the majority of my "horse" money on the vet, shoeing, lessons, then competitions.
Pretty much in that order.
I have an amazing team that keeps my horses happy.
And a happy horse is an important thing.

Do you make good decisions when you plan your ride?
Do you plan your rides?
Do you think about your horses fitness?

It's ok to realize that you don't think about stuff enough, or don't know how. Ask your instructor!
One of my favorite people to ask questions to is Gretchen Butts.
I will basically schedule a lesson just to talk.

If it's a quick question, shoot an email. I have even done that to Jimmy Wofford. Would I ever do it again? No probably not. I want Jimmy to know me as the girl that did well at his lesson, or Fair Hill. Not the creepy girl who stalks him.
No one likes a stalker.

If you are asking your trainer to plan your entire months fitness schedule, do it as part of your lesson.
(Unless you are my student Kari who gets random emails from her busy body trainer (me) planning out months of fitness for the great and powerful Knickerbocker. I can't help myself)
This is a rambling post but what my point is, is this.

Control the variables that you can and let go of the rest.
Don't set yourself up for failure.
THINK.

My mare Beast is weak on the flat.
She will never become a brilliant mover like Callie, BUT I still have variables I control.
I can learn how to make her appear less tense, but I can also do the most accurate test a judge has ever seen.
I can work on my canter. I can work on my gait quality.

My current goal with Beast is to be in the top 60% after dressage (at the Intermediate level).
My goal with Beast is to jump double clean.

My goal on Callie is to receive all 7's and 8's in dressage and to jump double clean.
These are realistic goals.

Summer is a baby. Her goals are to hack, learn about lungeing, bathes, dogs, people, little poles and small crossrails.
Don't assume your horse knows things.
Pay attention.

Just pay attention.
If you feel like you are missing something, you are.
We all are.
Ask a professional! That's what we are here for!
(But not at 9:50 at night on their home phone, professionals often have ornery spouses, children or are asleep by 8pm)

Remember only 10% of life is what happens to you and 90% is how you react to it.
Try not to react like a crazy person, and try to help the 10% be positive.

Theses quotes were too funny not to post...


It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain.

When your dreams turn to dust, it's time to vacuum.



No comments:

Post a Comment