Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Mary and (the perfect) Beast

Monday, February 27, 2012

Fwd: Knick

This email is about my retired horse Knick. He is ridden by two lovely ladies at my home farm.
Knick was never behaved for me. He always spooked and was often pulling stunts in the dressage ring.
He would still be like that with me now.....but he loves being a teacher.
I'm so happy my students are taking this time to be independent.
It's hard to be independent (especially when you are used to an awesome husband, daughter, and farm owner......then you are in aiken and convince yourself you are in a lifetime movie with a stalker living in your attic).

I draw inspiration from my students. In all seriousness. You guys all rock.
Thanks Julia, your email means a lot.

Mary Mack

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Julia Fitzgerald" <jfitz129@yahoo.com>
Date: Feb 27, 2012 9:49 AM
Subject: Knick
To: "Mary Macklin" <mary.macklin1@gmail.com>
Cc: "Alison Bowyer" <abowyer@conwater.com>

Hi Mary!!!

How are you and the girls?! We miss you but we are glad you are having a good time according to your blog :]

I wanted to give Knick some props on being an AMAZING boy yesterday :D Yesterday was my first time jumping him with out you and I was soooo nervous. When I brought him in from the field Nick Dawson was using an electric saw nearby and turned it on as we were walking in. Knick reared and spun and freaked out which did not help my nerves and when I set up the jumps he was so excited! When I got on and warmed up he was ready to go and as we came to the first jump I pulled and released, pulled and released (literally saying it out loud) and he slowed and trotted over and was PERFECT the whole time :) Even when Nick turned the saw back on while we were riding he got a little tense but ignored it and was so so sweet. I think he knew I was nervous! We just did the little cross rails in a figure-8 and he wanted to do more but was ok when he realized that we weren't going higher but did the exercise a fair amount of times and was aloud to canter around at the end of each little course! He was so good it made me want to cry; He got a big hug and scratch on the neck each time. He knew I was scared and was just such a good boy I couldn't believe it! It was definitely a confidence boost for me doing it without you and having him behave. I was having a mini heart attack before but I just remembered everything you told me, stayed in two-point after then jump so I didn't get pushed and pulled around, gave him his head, tried to relax and half-halted. It was a really exciting day for me and I wanted to share it with you!

I hope all is well with you!! Knick is doing great and Alison and I are not obsessing over his every little dramatic cut or stiff leg ;)

Love,
Julia and Knick

No comments:

Post a Comment